Sometimes, it’s an uphill struggle to make your eyes stand out. However, with the right makeup techniques, you can make your eyes pop like never before.
Upturned, round, monolid, or almond, no matter your eye shape, there are plenty of eye makeup tips to accentuate their natural beauty…. and get you noticed.
I’m revealing my 12 game-changing makeup secrets to make your eyes pop, no matter your eye shape, age, or skin tone. Plus, I have included a helpful tip with each step!
- 1. Know Your Eye Shape
- 2. Prime Those Lids
- 3. Eye Colour vs Eyeshadow
- 4. Highlight with Light Shades
- 5. Embrace Eyeliner Tricks
- 6. Master the Art of Blending
- 7. Tame Those Eyebrows
- 8. Use Mascara Wisely
- 9. False Lashes for Extra Drama
- 10. Don’t Forget the Lower Lash Line
- 11. Keep the Rest of Your Makeup Balanced
- 12. Correct Makeup Mistakes
- Further Reading
1. Know Your Eye Shape
Right from the start, knowing your own personal eye shape is key (see above image). Different eye shapes benefit from different makeup techniques to ensure they pop!
My top tip:
- Upturned Eyes: Apply eyeliner to the inner corners.
- Downturned Eyes: A winged eyeliner can help with lift.
- Round eyes: Use smoky eye shadows.
- Almond eyes: Curled lashes will open things up.
- Monolid eyes: The cut crease method enhances depth.
- Hooded eyes: Use matte eyeshadow and reduce eyeliner.
2. Prime Those Lids
Always start with a thoroughly cleansed and primed eyelid. This critical step helps the eyeshadow adhere better, reduces creasing, and makes your eye makeup look flawless.
My top tip: Using a quality primer will create a smooth canvas and will stay vibrant for longer throughout the day.
3. Eye Colour vs Eyeshadow
I highly recommend selecting eyeshadow colours that complement your eye colour and natural skin tones rather than competing with them.
My top tip:
- Bronze shades make blue eyes pop.
- Purples complement green or grey eyes.
- Gold tones highlight brown eyes.
- Brown and red tones highlight hazel eyes.
4. Highlight with Light Shades
Use lighter eyeshadow shades to ‘open up’ the eye area. Applying a light, shimmery colour to the inner corner of your eyes can instantly make them appear brighter and more eye-catching, pun intended!
My top tip: If your budget allows, invest in a quality eyeshadow palette, such as these eyeshadow from Dior, as they can make such a difference.
5. Embrace Eyeliner Tricks
Eyeliner can be a girl’s best friend when used correctly, and there are several eyeliner tricks that you can use to get those eyes popping to the max.
My top tips:
- Pencil eyeliners are great for beginners and helpful for smudged or smokey eye effects.
- Start with small dashes or dots along the lash line and then connect them.
- A thin line with a slight wing can elongate the eyes.
- Tightlining – applying eyeliner to the upper waterline – gives the appearance of fuller lashes.
- For a sharper wing or cleaner line, use a small amount of concealer on an angled brush.
6. Master the Art of Blending
Blending is crucial in eye makeup. I use a blending brush to soften harsh lines for a seamless transition between colours to ensure an effortless look.
My top tip: Remember, it’s easier to add more colour than to take it away; too much colour can often overpower the natural beauty of your eyes.
7. Tame Those Eyebrows
Your eyebrows frame your face and balance your eye makeup. Just like a well-kept garden, keep them nicely groomed and filled in.
My top tip: Be careful not to overdo it – natural-looking brows are in!
8. Use Mascara Wisely
Mascara can dramatically change the look of your eyes. Apply it to your top and bottom lashes to fully define your eyes to ensure full pop-ability.
My top tip: Wiggle the wand at the base of your lashes before pulling through for extra volume.
9. False Lashes for Extra Drama
For special occasions, false eyelashes, like these from MAC, can add that extra bit of drama. Choose lashes that complement your eye shape for a natural yet enhanced look.
My top tip: Don’t overdo it with the length of false lashes. For eyes to truly pop, you need to allow your eye makeup and liner not to get overpowered by lashes.
10. Don’t Forget the Lower Lash Line
Don’t ignore your lower lash line. This step is a game-changer to ensure your eyes fully pop, and it’s easy to miss out.
My top tip: Applying a bit of eyeshadow or smudging eyeliner on the lower lash line balances your eye makeup and makes your eyes appear larger.
11. Keep the Rest of Your Makeup Balanced
Keeping the rest of your skin more neutral helps to draw attention straight to your eyes without overwhelming your overall look.
My top tip: To ensure your eyes are the main focus, experiment using a more natural-looking foundation and calmer makeup tones.
12. Correct Makeup Mistakes
Don’t walk out the door without a final makeup check. If you make a mistake, gently erase the error by using a cotton swab and a makeup remover.
My top tip: I use a small amount of concealer on an angled brush for a sharper wing or cleaner line to clean up the edges.
Knowing your eye shape is essential. I recommend you experiment with these 12 makeup secrets to find what works best for your own eye shape to make them truly pop.
As a side note, depending on your age, if, like me, you want to keep your eyes looking younger, check out my recent article on retinol eye creams, as there are some excellent products on the market.
For me, makeup is a form of self-expression, and there are no hard and fast rules. Feel free to get creative and have fun with it. After all, eyes are the windows to the soul.
Below are some additional articles from Viora London’s blog. We write articles on a number of interesting lifestyle topics such as fragrance, beauty, luxury accessories and more.